Saturday, 8 March 2014

Iron Butterfly with a Wandering Mind

Joachim Sison
2012-58294
STS

Reaction Paper: Imelda

As I was watching the documentary about the Iron Butterfly of the Philippines, I couldn't help but wonder where exactly Imelda Marcos managed to get her trains of thought. I honestly felt that the documentary was a little insulting, as there were so many points I wanted to raise, but I had to keep reminding myself over and over that this was simply a documentary and nothing would change if I spoke up. On the other hand, I found various parts of the documentary amusing, again due to the various statements and assertions made over the course of the documentary.

The part, honestly, where my irritation reached a peak was when Imelda talked about the assassination of Ninoy Aquino, throwing around statements saying that he was no threat, and they had nothing to gain by putting him out of the picture. On the contrary, given the state of affairs during that time, it was one of the most obvious lies I'd seen, as Ninoy did in fact, pose a monumental threat to the Marcoses, and they stood to gain a lot if the leader of their primary opposition somehow died. Other sources of irritation was about her comments on how she is a simple woman with simple needs, and, oh of course simple women MUST own a few thousand pairs of shoes and even more dresses. It's only natural for a woman who loves beauty to have those bare necessities. (Heavy sarcasm here, which I hope was noticeable)

My other reaction was amusement and surprise, surprise at how on earth someone could make statements about one's existence and order in the same manner Imelda did. I must admit, I had doubts about her sanity after listening to her explanations. I was struggling to understand how Pacman fit into the concept of the human body being whole and smiling, and completely lost track of everything when the explanation on the Seven parts of Order suddenly became ten points, and that she forgot that a ninth point existed. Four hours of listening to talk like that would be torturous for someone like me, and the reward that the listener recieved in the documentary, a ten-pound hershey bar, was, while unique and somewhat desirable, ultimately not worth the effort.

In summary, my greatest reaction to the documentary was quite similar to a foreign friend's reaction when I showed her the film; "How did she manage to get in such a high position? And why, after all this time, is the family still in politics?"

No comments:

Post a Comment